The motherboard is the backbone of your computer system since it’s an integral part of ensuring your computer is running efficiently. Invest in the best motherboard brands to get the most out of your internals. It doesn’t matter if you’re trying to upgrade your computer system or are building a new PC. But it matters how much energy you spend gaining the best motherboard; spend as much energy on getting the best motherboard as you would spend on the best GPU and CPU.
If you are using a bad or non-branded motherboard, you will face many problems. Your computer may shut down during the boost. Increased Windows errors or blue screens are symptoms of failing motherboards. Components will only work correctly if your motherboard is of high quality. You want your computer to run at an optimal level, which requires a solid motherboard. Therefore, for your help finding the best motherboard, we’ve compiled this guide with our top picks.
Do Brands Matter for Motherboards?
Brands matter for the motherboard, but not more than other components. There are many motherboard brands, and each brand usually has several options. Most of the connectors are standard, there’s only so much RAM, M.2, or PCIe slots you can put on the board, and there’s a range of power throughputs and refresh rates available even for current-generation motherboards.
6 Best Motherboard Brands
Below, we give you a selection of the best Motherboard brands.
ASUS is the world’s largest manufacturer of motherboards and a Taiwanese multinational computer and phone hardware and electronics company. Apart from motherboards, Asus products include desktop computers, laptops, netbooks, mobile phones, networking equipment, monitors, WIFI routers, projectors, graphics cards, optical storage, multimedia products, peripherals, wearables, etc., including servers, workstations, and tablet PCs. The company is also an original equipment manufacturer. No. 1 in BizVibe’s ranking of motherboard manufacturers, Asus also ranked 6th in total computer hardware sales among all companies last year.
- Founded: 1989
- Asus Revenue: USD 12.11 billion
- Asus Headquarters: Beitou District, Taipei, Taiwan
- Asus Number of employees: 5,667
ASUS Key Products and services:
- Laptops, netbooks, mobile phones, desktops, monitors, projectors, motherboards, networking equipment, graphics cards, optical storage, multimedia products, peripherals, wearables, servers, workstations, and tablet PCs.
2. MSI (Microstar International)
Second on this list of the top motherboard manufacturers is MSI, also known as Microstar International. MSI is a multinational information technology corporation that was founded in 1986. In addition to being one of the world’s leading motherboard brands, it also manufactures other computer hardware and related products and services, including laptops, desktops, motherboards, and graphics cards. In 2010, MSI generated USD 4 billion in revenue, making it one of the best motherboard companies on this list by revenue.
- Founded: 1986
- MSI Revenue: USD 4 billion
- MSI Headquarters: Zhonghe, New Taipei, Taiwan
- MSI Number of employees:2,32
MSI Key Products and services:
- Gaming laptops, desktops, monitors, motherboards, graphics cards, mobile workstations, servers, industrial computers, and peripherals
ASRock, which became the world’s third-largest motherboard brand when it was established in 2002, is a Taiwanese manufacturer of motherboards, industrial PCs, and home theater PCs, with headquarters in Taipei, Taiwan, and branches in Europe and the USA. ASRock strives to build its brand. With the concept of 3C design, “creation, consideration, and cost-effectiveness,” Besides motherboards, ASRock also sells desktop minicomputers. Last year, ASRock generated revenue of USD 329.5 million, making it one of the top motherboard companies on this brand ranking list.
- Founded: 2002
- ASRock Revenue: USD 329.5 million
- ASRock Headquarters: Taipei, Taiwan
- ASRock Number of employees: 324
ASRock Key Products and services:
- Motherboard Series, Mini PC Series, Gaming Barebone Series, Industrial PC Series, MultiBook Series, Server, and Workstation Series
Gigabyte motherboards have always received good reviews from various computer supply sites. Overall, customer response to this brand is positive. They are a Taiwanese manufacturer and distributor of computer hardware and have a solid customer satisfaction rating. Motherboards are Gigabyte’s primary product, as they shipped 4.8 million motherboards last quarter, more than any other company worldwide. Gigabyte also manufactures custom graphics cards and laptop computers. Gigabyte Technology was founded in 1986, and its headquarters are currently in Xindian District, New Taipei City, Taiwan.
- Founded: 1986
- Revenue: USD 1.94 billion
- Headquarters: Xindian District, New Taipei City, Taiwan
- Gigabyte Number of employees: 7,100
Gigabyte Key Products and services:
- Air cooling, computer cases, computer peripherals, graphics cards, motherboards, notebooks, power supplies, server hardware, smartphones
Intel is an American multinational technology company with its headquarters in Santa Clara, California, in Silicon Valley. Intel manufactures motherboards and many other semiconductor products, including network interface controllers and integrated circuits, flash memory, graphics chips, embedded processors, and other communications and computing devices. It is the world’s largest semiconductor manufacturing company. Last year, Intel earned 71.9 billion US dollars, making it the leader of motherboard manufacturers in 2020.
- Founded: 1968
- Intel Revenue: USD 71.9 billion
- Intel Headquarters: Santa Clara, California, USA
- Intel Number of employees: 110,800
Intel Key Products and services:
- Central processing units, microprocessors, integrated graphics processing units (iGPU), systems-on-a-chip (SoCs), motherboard chipsets, Network interface controllers, modems, mobile phones, and solid-state drives.
Acer Inc. ranks sixth on the list of motherboard manufacturers’ brands. Acer Inc. is a Taiwanese multinational hardware and electronics manufacturing company specializing in advanced electronics technology, with headquarters in Xizhi, New Taipei City. Besides motherboards, Acer manufactures many other products, including desktop PCs, laptops, tablets, storage devices, virtual servers, reality devices, smartphones, displays, peripherals, gaming PCs, and accessories under its Predator brand. In the last year, Acer earned USD 8.12 billion, making it one of the largest motherboard manufacturers in the world.
- Founded: 1976
- Acer Revenue: USD 8.12 billion
- Acer Headquarters: Xizhi, New Taipei, Taiwan
- Acer Number of employees: 7,967
Acer Inc. Products and services:
- laptops, desktops, netbooks, servers, smartphones, tablet computers, storage, monitors, handhelds, televisions (LED, LCD, and plasma), video projectors, and e-business.
The motherboard is the backbone of your computer system, as it is essential to ensure that your computer runs efficiently. Invest in the best brand of motherboard for the best and most efficient performance because brands are so crucial for the motherboard, and each brand usually has several options. Above, we discussed the top six motherboard manufacturer brands, which give you an easy way to select the best brands for your onboard computer.ASUS is a Taiwanese motherboard manufacturer founded in 1989, earning USD 12.11 billion last year.
Second on this list of the top motherboard manufacturers is the MSI Corporation, which was founded in 1986 and earned USD 4 billion. ASRock is the third-largest motherboard brand, established in 2002 and earning USD 329.5 million. Gigabyte is the fourth largest motherboard manufacturer and was founded in 1986. It earned USD 1.94 billion in 2017. Intel is an American multinational technology company founded in 1968 that earned USD 71.9 billion in 2017. Acer Inc., ranked sixth on the list of motherboard manufacturers and was founded in 1976, earned USD 8.12 billion last year.